DAERA Minister Edwin Poots, today announced that he has extended the appointment of a Member of the Livestock and Meat Commission (LMC), Mr Patrick McElroy, for a period of six months.
Mr McElroy’s extended term will take effect from 1 February 2020 and will ensure appropriate retention of experience and skills within the Board, until a new Board member can be appointed from the public appointment competition which is currently underway to fill this position.
Mr Poots said: “This extension to the term of appointment of Mr Patrick McElroy will provide continuity to the LMC and allow it to continue with its important function of supporting, examining and informing the marketing and development of the Northern Ireland beef and sheep meat industry.”
Mr McElroy is currently serving his second term of appointment and acts as the Chairperson of the LMC Audit and Risk Committee.
Notes to editors:
1. The LMC was established under the Livestock Marketing Commission Act (NI) 1967. It is an Executive Non Departmental Public Body and is sponsored by DAERA. The main duty of the LMC, as stated in the 1967 Act, is to examine and recommend improvements in the marketing of livestock and livestock products.
2. Mr. Patrick McElroy was appointed to the LMC Board in February 2014. He is currently a Director of Artillery One Limited, Artillery Two Limited and Refineblend Limited. From 1997 to 2007 he was Company Accountant at Omagh Meats. He has significant financial experience at a senior level in the meat processing industry and, in addition to his financial skills, brings experience and a good understanding of the issues facing the red meat processing sector to the work which the LMC does.
3. LMC Board Member positions are remunerated at c.£6,500 per annum.
4. The above appointment was initially made on 1 February 2014 by the then DARD Minister on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. The appointee has not been involved in any political activity during the past five years. Mr McElroy was reappointed to a second term by the then DARD Minister commencing from 1 February 2017.
5. This extension complies with the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Northern Ireland’s “Code of Practice”.
6. For media enquiries please contact DAERA Press Office 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Over £18million claimed through Covid-19 support fund 25 September 2020
- A reminder of the changes to applying slurry prior to and following the closed period 24 September 2020
- Careful harvesting to store will maintain potato crop quality 23 September 2020
- Future performance the focus for Fermanagh sheep enterprise 22 September 2020