The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is seeking views on a strategy framework to guide and direct how the Department will utilise science over the next 15 years in delivering services.
Publishing the consultation (DAERA Science Strategy Framework) the Chief Scientific Adviser for NI, Dr Alistair Carson said: “Science plays an important role in helping us deliver services. It underpins policies and strategies, which impact across the agri-food, environment, forestry, marine and fisheries and rural sectors.
"We would like to hear the views of businesses and organisations from across these sectors, as well as from anyone who has a view on how the Department should use science to help improve service delivery."
Anyone wishing to comment must do so by 22 October 2019.
Notes to editors:
- DAERA has responsibility for certain aspects of food, farming, environmental, fisheries, forestry and sustainability policy and regulation and the development of the rural sector in Northern Ireland.
- DAERA uses science as a key enabler for informing policy development, meeting statutory obligations, measuring outcomes, providing advice and information, promoting innovation, managing risks to society and the environment and supporting rural areas. As the Government competent authority, DAERA science underpins trade in NI agri-food products, through assuring the health and compliance with export standards of NI animal, plant and derivative products. DAERA is also the Government competent authority for the environment and nature conservation and protection under a range of NI legislation. Consequently, it is important that DAERA has a coherent strategy and policies for how it will use science to further its policy aims and optimise the value it achieves from its investment in science, to deliver positive impacts for the agri-food industry and its sectors, the wider rural economy and the environment as a whole.
- The DAERA Science Strategy Framework proposals have been informed by engagement with key stakeholders representing all areas for which DAERA has responsibility as well as local Universities.
- The ‘DAERA Science Strategy Framework: Stakeholder Consultation’ documents can be accessed on the DAERA website.
Science Evidence and Innovation Policy Division
Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
Upper Newtownards Road
By E-mail: STPMO@daera-ni.gov.uk
Telephone: 028 9037 8389
- The closing date for responses is 22 October 2019.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Time is running out to protect our endangered environment warns chief 18 September 2019
- Co Down postgraduate students win DAERA awards 18 September 2019
- Today’s research shaping the agri-food industry of tomorrow 17 September 2019
- Better Farm Beef Challenge NI Autumn Walks 16 September 2019