The Permanent Secretary at the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) in Belfast attended the recent Inter Ministerial Group for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs meeting.
The meeting was held on Monday 25 March 2019 at 2 Marsham Street in London, chaired by Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
The attending Ministers were:
From the UK Government: The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Rt Hon Michael Gove MP; the Minister of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, Robert Goodwill MP, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Scotland and Northern Ireland, Lord Duncan; and the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Wales Nigel Adams MP;
From the Welsh Government: The Minister for Energy, Environment and Rural Affairs, Lesley Griffiths AM;
From the Scottish Government: The Cabinet Secretary for the Rural Economy, Fergus Ewing MSP; and the Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment, Mairi Gougeon, MSP;
The Chair opened the meeting by providing an update on the UK’s exit from the EU. The group discussed recent developments and implications for the Withdrawal Agreement and future negotiations.
Discussions focused on the potential impacts of a no-deal outcome, noting these would be damaging and were highly undesirable. It would mean key sectors would come under significant stress and disruption. The group considered the funding and other support needs which would arise and that Devolved Administrations did not have financial allocations to meet such needs without further UK Government provision. Ministers wanted to ensure the wellbeing and welfare of individuals in affected sectors was appropriately addressed.
The Group also discussed business preparedness and communications and updates on secondary and primary legislation.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 30 November 2023
- Conference to help dairy farmers reduce labour demand and improve productivity 29 November 2023
- DAERA announces pioneering Net Zero Accelerator Program 29 November 2023
- Improving the Resilience of Dairy Farms 28 November 2023