CAFRE students Shea McFerran, from Larne, and Jonathan Long, from Donegal, will compete in the National Final of the Worldskills Landscape Gardening Competition in the NEC, Birmingham next week. The students won their places in the final of this prestigious competition when they built top class show gardens at the RHS Flower Show in July.
Dr Neil Bentley, Chief Executive, Worldskills UK said: “I wish Shea and Jonathan the best of luck as they prepare to compete at The Skills Show. Our research shows that Worldskills UK Competitions teach young people the employability skills that businesses are crying out for. By devising and managing skills competitions that are based on international standards, we can ensure more young people are being equipped with the right skills to help UK businesses better compete globally.”
Paul Mooney, Head of Horticulture at CAFRE said: “It is very pleasing to see the continued success of CAFRE students in the WorldSkills Landscape Gardening competitions and to have several CAFRE students once more competing in the UK Final at the Skills Show. It has been an incredible achievement for CAFRE as a college to have not alone had success in the National Final but also to have had one CAFRE graduate selected to be part of the two man UK team for the last three Worldskills Competitions which were held in London, 2012, Leipzeig in Germany, 2014 and Sao Paulo in Brazil, 2016.
This is a real testament to the dedication of staff and students and the excellence of the landscaping tuition delivered at the college.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter: @daera_ni.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, email@example.com or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Blue Frog Equestrian Bedding award a Bursary to a CAFRE Equine Student 25 May 2018
- Forestry and Tree Health Professionals share knowledge to protect trees 24 May 2018
- Reports on the Northern Ireland Food and Drinks Processing Sector and the NI Veterinary Sector 22 May 2018
- New product success for Loughry students 21 May 2018