Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA has announced that the Northern Ireland Executive has recently approved a plan to reduce unnecessary plastic within the NICS government estate.
The overall aim of the plan is to work towards a ban on unnecessary single-use plastic in the government estate by October 2021. The plan will commence as soon as possible and will focus mainly on the categories of cleaning, catering and tableware and takeaway. The actions in the plan are grouped around raising awareness and changing behaviours across the Northern Ireland Civil Service (NICS) and working with our suppliers and contractors.
Minister Poots said “This is another welcome step forward in our efforts to cut out single use plastics in Northern Ireland and the throwaway culture in society around plastic. I am happy to announce that my department led on this initiative as it supports our commitment to the New Decade, New Approach aim for the Executive to create a plan to eliminate plastic pollution. There has been significant cross-departmental support for swift action on reducing unnecessary single use plastic products with many departments already considering the steps to remove them”
“Today’s announcement will help staff across the NICS to work together to play our part in cutting single use plastic. I look forward to seeing the results of the implementation of the plan over the next year.”
Nichola Hughes, Executive Director of Sustainable NI welcomed the introduction of the Plan "We are delighted to have supported DAERA in the development of this plan to remove unnecessary plastic from the government estate and promote environmentally friendly alternatives, such as reusable items. It sets an example for others to follow."
This plan is a first for the NICS government estate and brings us in line with the rest of the UK. Further information can be found here.
Notes to editors:
- Any queries about the NICS Single Use Plastic plan should be directed to Philip McMurray at: email@example.com.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook: https://twitter.com/daera_ni and www.facebook.com/daerani.gov.uk
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Poots announces opening of Environment Fund Competition 28 September 2022
- Poots announces appointment of new Independent Panel for Area-based Schemes Reviews 28 September 2022
- Do you know what is under your silage covers? 28 September 2022
- Rush Control – CAFRE BDGs discuss the options 28 September 2022