Agriculture Minister Michelle McIlveen today announced that her Department has delivered a record Basic Payment performance in December.
Miss McIlveen had set a target of processing payments to 95% of eligible applicants by the end of December. The Department has delivered 22,594 full or balance payments worth £92.8m to 96% of eligible farmers in December. CAP Payments worth £250.9million have been issued for the 2016 scheme year so far.
Miss McIlveen said: “I am pleased to announce my Department has delivered on its promise and achieved a record payment performance for the month of December. After a very difficult year for the industry, this will make a significant difference to our farmers. I am particularly pleased to confirm that the majority of businesses subject to inspection have been paid in December.”
The CAP schemes being paid are the Basic Payment and the Greening Payment. Where a successful application for the Young Farmers’ Payment has been confirmed, is also paid. Balance payments are issued to farmers who received an advance and full payments are being issued to those who did not. The payments made incorporate deductions made under the financial discipline mechanism to provide funds for the 2017 EU Agricultural Crisis Reserve.
The Minister noted that the increased number of applications submitted through DAERA’s online system had allowed more claims to be processed earlier.
She added: “I hope that even more farmers will recognise the benefits of applying online and help us to further improve on payment performance in the future.”
Notes to editors:
- European Commission Regulations permit full payments to be issued from 1 December 2016.
- The exchange rate for 2016 is €1 = £0.85228.
- The previous record payment performances were in 2014 and 2015 when payments were made to 95% of eligible farmers.
- The Direct Payment ceiling is €326.69million.
- The Greening Payment rate has also been confirmed at 44.656336%.
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Preparing for calving with North Tyrone Business Development Group 22 March 2019
- Tyrone Farming Society award bursary to CAFRE equine student 20 March 2019
- Larne landscaper to compete in Russia 19 March 2019
- Rodenticide training - courses available at CAFRE 19 March 2019