DAERA Minister Michelle McIlveen spent the day with farmers and exhibitors in Co Armagh, where she enjoyed the atmosphere and friendliness of the Armagh Show in Gosford Forest Park on Saturday 11 June 2016.
Miss McIlveen said: “Since my appointment as DAERA Minister I have been keen to meet with our farmers, food and drink producers and members of the rural community whenever possible, and one of the best ways of doing that is at a bustling local show.
“The Armagh Show is one of the longest established one day shows in Northern Ireland and provides an excellent opportunity to showcase the quality of our agri-food sector in addition to providing a fun family day out. It was clear as I toured the Show that the many competitors, livestock and other, take pride in their stock and exhibits.”
The Minister added: “I am delighted too that my Department, through the Northern Ireland Regional Food Programme, was, yet again, able to provide some funding support to the Show. The Armagh Show organisers have excelled in growing the food offering at the Show and the impressive food marquee was filled with a varied selection of local artisan food producers, allowing the general public to sample and buy some of their very fine produce.
“The Show provided me with a further opportunity to discuss with farmers the challenges and concerns of their daily business and how we can work together to address ongoing issues.”
The Minister concluded: “Gosford Forest Park, managed by the Forest Service, is an ideal location for the show. I congratulate the organisers on delivering a superb Show that I am sure was enjoyed by the thousands of people who visited.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Farm businesses already playing their part in tackling climate change – Poots 27 October 2021
- Crawfordsburn Country Park celebrates 50 years 27 October 2021
- Future proofing your dairy business webinar 1 – Carbon Awareness 26 October 2021
- Executive launches draft Green Growth Strategy for Northern Ireland 26 October 2021