Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs Minister Michelle McIlveen has met US Consul General Daniel Lawton.
The Minister underlined her commitment to continuing transatlantic trade between Northern Ireland and the USA.
Miss McIlveen said: “Links between this part of the world and the United States of America go back centuries and permeate many aspects of life on both sides of the Atlantic. Against this backdrop, I valued immensely the opportunity to meet US Consul General Daniel Lawton today to discuss how we can maintain and build upon existing links.
“Trade links between Northern Ireland and the USA are strong, with the local agri-food sector making an important contribution. Northern Ireland producers export a range of agri-food products to America and it is hoped to add to this by securing access to the US market for local beef. My Department has, in conjunction with DEFRA, been working with the USDA to this end and that process continues.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned
- A reminder of the changes to applying slurry prior to and following the closed period 24 September 2020
- Careful harvesting to store will maintain potato crop quality 23 September 2020
- Future performance the focus for Fermanagh sheep enterprise 22 September 2020
- A day in the life of an Equine Student at CAFRE 21 September 2020