A newly extended telephone service to avoid delays in the movement of cattle, and help keep the food supply chain moving smoothly, has been set up by Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA.
The DAERA Cattle Registration Telephony line currently facilitates the notification of bovine births, deaths and market to farm confirmations. However, from today farmers who would normally register the movement of an animal in paper format with DAERA Direct offices will be able to register this activity by telephone.
“Availability of food is critical and a strategic priority for the Executive. At present abattoirs cannot process an animal unless it is properly registered to that farmer’s herd,” the Minister explained.
“Any delays in either registering the birth of an animal or their movement from one farmer to another could potentially disrupt trade and the food supply chain. So this new telephone facility will help avoid that,” he added.
If farmers are already registered to use DAERA’s APHIS online system they should continue to use this to notify all cattle births, deaths and movements.
The Cattle Registration Telephone line can be accessed on 0300 200 7855 and is operational Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm.
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors
- Under the Cattle Identification (Notification of Births, Deaths and Movements) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999, Keepers must notify DAERA of the birth of all calves within 7 days from the date the animals must be tagged and all movements within 7 days of the movement, For market moves, notifications must be made on the day of movement, or the next working day where this is not practicable.
- When births and movements are notified, the herd lists (which includes all cattle details ascribed to the herd) for the relevant keepers are updated on the Animal and Public Health Information System (APHIS) database.
- Sellers and buyers should have all the details from their MC2 document at hand before they call the Telephony line. Buyers should apply stickers to their copies of MC2 documents as normal and have the sticker number at hand when they call to confirm a cattle movement.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email to: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- Minister raises concerns on beef imports 07 April 2020
- MINISTER PAUSES ALL ROUTINE DAERA INSPECTIONS 06 April 2020
- Payment claims for EFS must be made on Single Application 03 April 2020
- Right waste, right place - essential during Covid-19 crisis 03 April 2020