Stakeholders are being given an extra four weeks to submit evidence on the impact of air pollution, such as ammonia, on our natural environment.
The new closing date for DAERA’s Call for Evidence on the Operational Protocol is now Friday 27 October 2023.
Dave Foster, Director of Natural Environment Policy, said DAERA acknowledges it may not have access to all the relevant evidence for consideration in updating the existing operational protocol.
“We are urging everyone with an interest in this issue including academics, environmental groups, and the agri-food sector, to submit any evidence they have that would contribute to DAERA developing an updated, scientifically robust Operational Protocol.
“We know that urgent action is needed on this issue, so it has been a difficult decision to extend the deadline for a second time, but stakeholders have asked for additional time to support the provision of evidence in this process.
“Our goal is to deliver an evidence-informed solution which protects and improves the environment, whilst supporting a sustainable agriculture sector,” he added.
DAERA, in its role as the appropriate nature conservation body in Northern Ireland has a duty to provide advice to planning authorities and other competent authorities on the potential impacts of air pollution, including ammonia, from plans and projects on designated sites and protected habitats.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com or telephone: 028 9052 4619.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- New innovative Food Degrees at CAFRE 05 December 2023
- New Countryside Survey underway 05 December 2023
- SNHS Zone 1 farmers to receive final soil analysis reports 04 December 2023
- Prepare now for Winter 01 December 2023