DAERA Minister, Edwin Poots MLA, has announced the appointment of a new Chair and four new Members to the Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority (NIFHA)
Mr Robert McConnell (Chair), Mr Harry Wick, Mr Alan McKeown, Mr David Knott and Dr Lynn Gilmore have been appointed for a four year term effective from:
1 January 2021 to 31 December 2024.
Confirming the new appointments, DAERA Minister Poots MLA said:
“I welcome the appointment of Mr Robert McConnell to the position of Chair and Mr Harry Wick, Mr Alan McKeown, Mr David Knott and Dr Lynn Gilmore as Members of the Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority Board.
The Fishery Harbour Authority plays an important role in the management and maintenance of Northern Ireland’s three main fishing harbours at Ardglass, Kilkeel and Portavogie.
The skills and experience of the incoming Chair and Members in business and governance matters will provide leadership and guidance to NIFHA as they continue their important work.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the outgoing Chair, Mr Terry Jarvis and Members, Helen Henderson, Martin McDonald and Dr George McIlroy for their effective leadership and service during their terms of appointment and wish each of them well in future endeavours”.
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority (NIFHA) is a statutory Non Departmental Public Body (NDPB) established in 1973 under the Harbours Act (Northern Ireland) 1970 and the Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority Order (Northern Ireland) 1973. The Authority has responsibility for the improvement, management and maintenance of the three fishery harbours at Ardglass, Kilkeel and Portavogie.
- Mr Robert McConnell is co-founder and Director of a business advisory firm (Pinnacle Growth Group), providing business growth advice to multi-sector clients from across Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and GB. As part of this group, Mr McConnell has also founded and directs several additional businesses. Mr McConnell is a Non-Executive Director, Honorary Treasurer and Audit & Risk Committee chair of Every Day Harmony (NI Music Therapy Trust). Mr McConnell is a Chartered Director and Fellow of the Institute of Directors and a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining.
- Mr Harry Wick was a commissioned Royal Naval Officer for 20 years during which time he worked extensively with harbours and port authorities across the world. He is currently the Chief Executive of the Northern Ireland Fish Producers’ Organisation (NIFPO), a body that represents the interests of local commercial fishing vessels.
- Mr Alan McKeown has worked for 20 years at Group board level in the food industry specialising in operations, supply chain, I.T. and automation. Previously a Group Director at Dunbia, Mr McKeown currently manages his own company “Food for Thought” a team of industry-focused management consultants. Mr McKeown is a Fellow of the Institute of Directors and the Institute of Consulting and is a committee member with IoD Northern Ireland. He also holds several other non-executive director positions in the private sector.
- Mr David Knott is a former manager at Bombardier Aerospace and since 2005, has been employed by the Belfast Harbour Commissioners in a senior management role. He served as a board member and Non-Executive Director of Groundwork NI from 1997 to 2008. He is a member of the RSPB Advisory Committee for Northern Ireland and the Belfast Resilience and Sustainability Board.
- Dr Lynn Gilmore has worked for the last eleven years in the Seafish Industry Authority, first as Seafish Northern Ireland Manager and more recently as Head of International Trade and the Regions (West). She served as a Board Member of the Cross Border Aquaculture Initiative and is an Honorary Visiting Scholar in Queen’s University Belfast.
- NIFHA Chair position is remunerated at £6,750 per annum, and Board Member positions at £4,075 per annum.
- Political activity plays no part in the selection process, however, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. No political activity has been declared by any of the appointees.
- These appointments have been made in accordance with the Northern Ireland Fishery Harbour Authority (Northern Ireland) 1973 and the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland (CPA NI) Code of Practice.
- For media enquiries please email DAERA Press Office. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- DAERA seeks views on the development of fisheries management measures for Marine Protected Areas and establishment of scallop enhancement sites in the Northern Ireland inshore region 25 January 2021
- Causeway Artisan Foods takes giant steps for innovation 25 January 2021
- EU Exit 22 January 2021
- New processes for the movement of hay and straw from GB to NI 21 January 2021