Minister of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, Edwin Poots MLA has announced that the Northern Ireland pilot Protein Crops Scheme will be extended to the end of 2023.
The Minister said: “I am pleased to announce an extension to the pilot Protein Crop Scheme for growing combinable beans, peas and sweet lupins. I would continue to encourage everyone to consider the opportunities and benefits this scheme provides not only to boost farm incomes but also the associated agronomic and environmental benefits."
The aim of the scheme is to create a domestically produced source of protein for animal feed, provide agronomic benefits within arable rotations and provide an alternative source of income for farmers. The pilot scheme was introduced in 2021, initially for two years, with the intention that the approach would then be reviewed and possibly refined for subsequent years to maximise the economic and environmental benefits.
The Minister continued: “An interim review of the scheme performance has been completed and this has demonstrated overall positive results. The number of businesses claiming support for growing protein crops has increased from 32 in 2020 to 113 in 2022 with a total of 641 ha of protein crops grown in 2021. A number of environmental benefits have also been recorded, including an increase in crop diversity and a reduction in fertiliser usage on participating farms.
“An economic and environmental evaluation of the pilot scheme will now be carried out.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- DAERA seeks six new Members for CAFRE’s College Advisory Group 22 September 2022
- Drinking Water Quality remains high across Northern Ireland 22 September 2022
- Re-opening of Tier 1 of FBIS Capital focus on higher input costs 22 September 2022
- Poots attends first National Ploughing Championships 21 September 2022