Payments totalling £16.5million to participants in the Environmental Farming Scheme (EFS) have commenced, Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA has announced.
The payments for over 60% of EFS Wider and Higher 2020 claims, worth £9.5million, will appear in farmers’ bank accounts within 10 working days. The Department will continue to release the remaining payments as quickly as possible as claims are checked and validated.
Minister Poots said: “I am pleased to announce that payments totalling £16.5million will commence this week to farmers participating in the Environmental Farming Scheme.
“This is a £16.5million investment in helping to further protect and improve our environment, rewarding farmers for work they have undertaken in making a positive contribution to that task.
“EFS has been a great success and I hope to continue this support for farmers’ environmental work in the future.”
From 30 March 2021, the majority of participants in the scheme can submit their 2021 claims for EFS payment via the Department’s online Single Application and Maps Service.
The remaining participants can submit their claim from 23 April. This is to ensure the data that is provided is as accurate and up to date as possible. The Department will be writing to these farmers to advise them of this in early April.
Claimants are reminded that, as the EFS is a five-year agreement, work claimed for and paid on must remain available for inspection at any time during this period. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the scheme may lead to penalties and recovery of any payments made.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 18:00hrs and 08:00hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- EU Exit 12 April 2021
- Inter-Ministerial Group for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (IMG EFRA) 22 March 2021 08 April 2021
- DAERA is seeking a new Chair and Member for CAFRE’s College Advisory Group 08 April 2021
- CAFRE celebrates ‘Great Debate’ success 07 April 2021