Fisheries Minister Edwin Poots MLA has announced a £360,000 emergency support package for Northern Ireland’s aquaculture sector.
The package aims to help aquaculture businesses that have experienced a significant drop in sales as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The aquaculture sector is a small but valuable niche market in Northern Ireland, employing around 131 people and supporting our rural communities. The scheme aims to assist producers of species like oysters and trout.
Announcing the emergency support package during a visit to Movanagher Fish Farm in Ballymoney Minister Poots said: “Northern Ireland’s fishing industry has faced extreme difficulties as a result of COVID-19 and is in urgent need of our support. I have already announced a £1.5m support package to help the fishing fleet and today I am announcing a further support package of £360,000 targeted towards the aquaculture sector.
“The aim of the emergency package is to help this sector to continue its work in growing, harvesting, shipping and delivering to customers all over the world and help the sector to be sustainable and profitable in the long term.”
The support fund of up to £360,000 will be in the form of a grant payment, covering the three month period - 1 March to 31 May 2020 and will be based on the income lost from sales of aquaculture products due to COVID-19. Average monthly sales over the past three years for each business will be used as the baseline.
The Minister continued: “This funding will help those businesses most at risk of financial ruin to survive this difficult period. My Department will inform business owners about the full details of the scheme and how to apply in due course.”
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland aquaculture sector is a small but valuable niche market supporting rural economies, valued at approximately £11 million annually. There are currently approximately 28 active aquaculture producers and the sector employs around 131 people. The main species cultivated are mussels, oysters, salmon and trout.
- This package of financial support will provide support to the most vulnerable aquaculture businesses. Payments will be made directly to eligible shellfish growers and trout farmers.
- For media enquiries please contact DAERA Press Office
- Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- Draft Climate Change Bill moves to next stage 24 June 2021
- Poots welcomes strong uptake of offers under £15m FBIS-Capital Tier 1 tranche 3 23 June 2021
- Poots announces consultation on process for Review of Decisions Cases 23 June 2021
- CAFRE celebrates commitment to LEAF Marque accreditation 23 June 2021