Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots, MLA, has reiterated the need for the UK and EU to make progress on the issue of veterinary medicines supply from Great Britain (GB) to Northern Ireland (NI) following the announcements by the EU of a potential solution being identified for the movement of human medicines.
Minister Poots stated: “I have stated on many occasions that it is completely unacceptable for there to be any additional barriers on the movement of veterinary medicines from Great Britain to Northern Ireland as a result of the Northern Ireland Protocol.
“The UK outlined earlier in 2021 that the grace period of these products would be extended indefinitely meaning that the arrangements and the current processes for moving veterinary medicines between GB and NI will continue to be administered as they had been up until the end of the transition phase.”
Minister Poots added: “While I acknowledge the EU recognition of the current grace period in relation to these moves, it is not enough. I am concerned about the negative impact on animal health both commercial and family pets, in addition to the burden our industry would face if they had to meet all the additional EU requirements for the movement of veterinary medicines to NI when there is simply no need for it.
“Industry needs certainty and there must be no barriers put in place that would risk the health and welfare of animals in Northern Ireland. I note that further talks will take place between the UK and EU on this matter and am calling for a sensible, permanent and pragmatic solution to be found that does not cause a negative impact for the supply of veterinary medicines from GB to NI.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Webinar Diary Dates 21 January 2022
- Poots launches £800,000 scheme to promote innovation and science base through PhD Research 21 January 2022
- Multi-million pound investment in fishing harbours moves step closer - Poots 21 January 2022
- Minister - All remaining Avian Influenza Surveillance Zones to be lifted in Northern Ireland 20 January 2022