Environment Minister, Edwin Poots MLA, has encouraged people to respond to a public consultation and call for evidence on the hand gathering of shellfish within Northern Ireland before the closing date of 1 September.
This consultation sets out a range of potential management measures designed to regulate the hand gathering of shellfish from our marine area. This fishing practice is currently unregulated by DAERA and therefore the Department holds limited information on the current status of the fishery in Northern Ireland.
The consultation contains a targeted questionnaire that seeks the views of respondents to the measures and further information and evidence from those involved in, and with knowledge of the activity. The responses and evidence received will assist the Department in the implementation of effective management of this activity going forward.
The Minister said: “It is essential that we manage our marine environment in a sustainable way. This consultation is an important step in ensuring that shellfish gathering is managed in a way that reduces the negative impact on our protected habitats and species and protects shellfish stocks for future generations.
“I would encourage everyone with an interest to respond to the consultation before the closing date of 1 September.”
Notes to editors:
- Link to the consultation.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Making the dairy business more resilient 28 September 2023
- Water users urged to enhance biosecurity 28 September 2023
- Applications are invited for a Study Tour to the Netherlands – Innovations in hatching and commercial egg production 28 September 2023
- New deadline to provide evidence on impact of air pollution on environment 27 September 2023