Fisheries Minister Edwin Poots MLA has met with fishermen and representatives of the fishing industry in Ardglass to discuss future opportunities for developing the fishing and the seafood sector in the area.
Following the meeting at Ardglass Harbour, Minister Poots said: “Ardglass has a long history of fishing and I was pleased to visit the harbour to meet those involved and discuss with them their hopes and plans for the future.
“Ardglass is involved in the supply of a whole range of quality seafood, from crabs and lobster, to prawns and herring. I was informed about ambitious plans to develop infrastructure and I outlined our intention to take stock of fishing opportunities following the conclusion of talks with EU on a Future Fisheries Agreement and Coastal State negotiations.
“I am hopeful of a successful outcome for Irish Sea fisheries and once we have more certainty about the future then we can get on and develop the industry sustainably. To aid sustainability I recently announced a £1.7million scheme to to help the fishing fleet deal with the impacts of Covid-19 on the markets for key species. This brings the total amount of funding I’ve allocated for the sea fishing industry during the Covid pandemic to £3.2million.
“As fisheries minister I want to see our fishing industry prosper in the years ahead and be in position to avail of opportunities that may arise and I will support them in doing so.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 25 November 2021
- Poots: Paws For Thought when thinking about getting a puppy 25 November 2021
- Business Development Group discusses the importance of good water quality on the Fury River 25 November 2021
- Kircubbin community will benefit from £283K investment - Poots 25 November 2021