Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA has written to key workers in the waste industry to express his gratitude for their continuing efforts in protecting public health and the environment during covid-19
Minister Poots said: “As we navigate our way through the greatest health crisis Northern Ireland has faced for a generation, I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you, our key workers, in the waste industry.
“It is key workers such as yourselves, who are vital to keeping our country going throughout these trying times. To those who have helped maintain kerbside collections, those responsible for municipal cleansing, the people working in our recycling centres, treatment plants, recovery facilities, those maintaining our disposal sites and to everyone working behind the scenes to make sure our waste is dealt with properly – thank you.
“Your continued work through such difficult times, has helped to ensure public health and the environment are protected. Your contribution has been essential to society and the economy – the importance of which should not be understated.”
Minister Poots again repeated his call urging everyone to respect waste industry workers. He added: “The men and women who are providing a vital service to all households deserve respect when carrying out their role. They are working in very difficult circumstances to continue to provide a service for us all.
“I urge everyone to work with our key workers in the waste industry, show them the respect and courtesy they deserve. Please continue to recycle your household waste and adhere to the guidance on washing your hands and disinfecting your wheelie and recycling bin handles before putting out for collection.
“We are all in this together, and by working with and respecting our service providers we can all reduce the risk to everyone.”
Notes to editors:
- Letters have begun issuing today to companies and organisations across the waste sector, and should be received by the end of the week.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- £7.5million allocated for re-opening of Tier 1 of FBIS Capital 23 October 2020
- Environmental Farming Business Development Group 23 October 2020
- Use silage analysis to guide feeding strategy 22 October 2020
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 22 October 2020