Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA, has signalled the introduction of a financial support package for the potato growers impacted by a reduction in demand from the hospitality and food service sector for processing potatoes in the past 7 months due to Covid-19 lockdown measures.
The Minister explained that: “I met recently with representatives of potato farmers to hear about the impact a prolonged period of lockdown due to Covid-19 has had on their businesses. The market for processing potatoes has been negatively impacted since October, and the only option for many growers at this stage in the season is to sell their potatoes for livestock feed at significantly reduced prices.
He went on to say, “The support will be a contribution towards the verifiable losses incurred by these farmers for the second year in a succession. It will help to address the cash flow difficulties and financial impact of losing valuable markets, and sustain their businesses.”
He added, “Further work is still required to finalise scheme details including eligibility criteria, scheme rules and amount of support available. Anyone selling potatoes for stock feed in the interim is strongly advised to retain evidence of sales to meet anticipated scheme requirements.”
Further details of the scheme will be announced in May and explanatory information will be published on the DAERA website at that time.
Over 11,500 farmers and growers have already benefited from almost £23.5M made available by DAERA as a contribution to offset the losses incurred by the pandemic’s impact on the local agri-food sector in 2020. Along with recent announcements of support for cull sows and wool, this will bring the total Covid-19 funding provided to local industry to almost £27M.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook: https://twitter.com/daera_ni and www.facebook.com/daerani.gov.uk.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Habitat TDF Farms open for EFS scheme visits 04 August 2021
- Brucellosis compensation rates for August 2021 03 August 2021
- Prepare now for the re-opening of EFS Wider 03 August 2021
- CAFRE – the right place to study for a successful career in the Agri-food industry 02 August 2021