Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA has welcomed the announcement that NI will be represented on the new Trade and Agriculture Commission following the appointment of Ulster Farmers’ Union (UFU) Deputy President, Mr Victor Chestnutt.
Membership of the new Trade and Agriculture Commission was announced today (10 July) by International Trade Secretary Liz Truss, and includes representatives of retail, farming unions, consumer, hospitality and environmental bodies from across the UK.
Mr Poots said: “I welcome the appointment of UFU Deputy President Victor Chestnutt to the Trade and Agriculture Commission. As a farmer, Victor is acutely aware of the excellent efforts of our farmers in NI continuing to produce high quality produce.
“I want to see future trading arrangements that will continue to uphold our high values in animal welfare, environmental protection and food quality and safety.
"Given our unique circumstances here in Northern Ireland, it is crucial that there is a local voice on the Commission to represent NI interests.
“I look forward to working with Victor and the wider Commission in exploring potential trading opportunities for our farmers.”
Notes to editors:
- View full membership of the Commission
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Attention to detail essential for successful potato desiccation following Diquat withdrawal 13 August 2020
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 13 August 2020
- Trees that are ‘delightful to the eye' are also useful to humans and a haven for wildlife 13 August 2020
- EFS applicants can avail of support at DAERA Direct offices 12 August 2020