Agriculture Minister Michelle McIlveen today announced that 90.72% of eligible farmers had received an advance CAP payment this month.
Northern Ireland was the first region in the United Kingdom to introduce advance payments and the Minister said that this was possible because of the increase in the number of farmers submitting their Single Application online.
The Minister had set a target of 80% of eligible farmers to receive an advance payment.
Miss McIlveen said: “This is a huge boost for over 21,000 farmers and a clear example of how the Executive is delivering for our industry.
“I announced recently that Northern Ireland would be the first region of the United Kingdom to make advance payments. I am pleased to be able to confirm that 90.72% of eligible farmers have received an advance payment, resulting in a total of £158,474,453 reaching 21,111 farmers much earlier this year.
“I am delighted with this outcome which exceeds the challenging target of 80% I set earlier this month. While my department has worked hard to deliver, it is clear that the increase in farmers applying online has facilitated early payments.”
The Minister added: “These payments will deliver a boost to the cash flow of our farm businesses right across Northern Ireland. I am particularly pleased that many Young Farmers, and a significant number of businesses subject to inspection, are receiving advance payments.”
The Minister said that her department will continue to work diligently to deliver for farmers. She concluded: “My Department is now focusing on the necessary work to deliver full or balance payments to 95% of eligible farmers in December.”
Notes to editors:
- European Commission Regulations permit advance payments of up to 70% of individual value to be issued from 16 October 2016.
- The exchange rate for 2016 is €1 = £0.85228.
- The advance payments have a total value of £158,474,453.
- The Greening Payment rate has also been confirmed at 44.656336%.
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments are made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter @daera_ni.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Applications are invited for a Study Tour to the Netherlands – Innovations in hatching and commercial egg production 28 September 2023
- Making the dairy business more resilient 28 September 2023
- Water users urged to enhance biosecurity 28 September 2023
- New deadline to provide evidence on impact of air pollution on environment 27 September 2023