AVIAN INFLUENZA PREVENTION ZONE
Essential biosecurity and housing requirements for keepers of ducks, geese and game birds:
- House your ducks and geese. If you do not have a purposebuilt building you could use a garden shed, garage or polytunnel provided there is adequate light and ventilation.
- House gamebirds where possible.
- If it is impossible for you to house your birds you must keep them separate from wild birds by keeping them in a fully netted enclosure. Feed and water must be indoors or undercover.
- If there are any gaps in your housing where wild birds could get in, block them or cover with netting.
- Do not keep your birds in the same buildings or enclosures as chickens or turkeys.
- To allow preening, provide water in old bathtubs, troughs or buckets and ensure wild birds cannot access.
- If you keep ducks, geese or game birds commercially and it is impractical for welfare reasons to restrict your birds to a smaller netted area, you must fence off or net any ponds, standing water or waterlogged land that the birds have access to.
- Make your entire premises unattractive to wild birds. Use bird scarers, foils or streamers.
- Store bedding inside to reduce the risk of contamination.
- Clean and disinfect footwear before and after tending to your birds. If you own more than 50 birds, place foot dips containing government approved disinfectant at all entry and exit points. Ensure disinfectant is at the correct concentration.
- Clean and disinfect hard surfaces regularly.
- Clean and disinfect equipment and vehicles to avoid disease spread between premises.
- Minimise the movement of people, vehicles and equipment to and from bird areas and keep records of movements.
- Keep records of poultry, captive bird and egg movements.
- Maintain buildings that house birds to prevent water ingress.
- Ensure pest control is effective.
Non-compliance with these biosecurity measures may be an offence. Read full details of the housing measures and biosecurity requirements at: www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/avian-influenza-ai