Disease control strategies
The Department has development control strategies in relation to several animal diseases, and further information on each can be found by clicking on the appropriate link below:
- African Horse Sickness Control Strategy
- African Swine Fever Control Strategy
- Aujeszky's Disease control strategy
- Bluetongue Virus Control Strategy
- Classical Swine Fever Control Strategy
- Foot and Mouth Disease Control Strategy
- Notifiable Epizootic Avian Disease Control Strategy
The use of approved disinfectant procedures is essential for maintaining good biosecurity.
A list of disinfectants approved under the Diseases of Animals (Approval of Disinfectants) Order (NI) 2008 specifying the dilutions at which they are respectively approved can be downloaded using the below link. Disinfectants need to be approved by Defra before they can be approved by DAERA for use in Northern Ireland. For information on Defra approval, visit their website.
Information on getting your product onto the DAERA approved list can be obtained from Animal Disease Control & Trade Policy Branch, contact number 028 905 25045.
Transport of animals cleansing and disinfection
The cleansing and disinfection of vehicles used for the transport of animals and poultry helps in the prevention and spread of disease.
The related links below are intended to provide a basic reference for the industry, but they cannot address every eventuality.
- Guide to the Transport of Animals and Poultry (Cleansing and Disinfection) Order (Northern Ireland) 2007
ADAS valuation tables
The value of birds is related to species, type, age, sex and husbandry system and can then be read from prepared valuation rate tables.