The Department of the Environment (“the Department”) is consulting on draft Regulations to transpose Directive 2010/75/EU on the industrial emissions (integrated pollution prevention and control) (Recast) (“the IED”).
The IED sets environmental controls on large industrial plants and brings together seven overlapping Directives (covering similar industrial emission activities), into one piece of legislation on industrial emissions. The existing Directives are:
- Directives 78/176/EEC, 82/883/EEC and 92/112/EEC, on producing titanium dioxide;
- Directive 99/13/EC on limiting volatile organic compounds due to organic solvent use in certain activities and installations;
- Directive 2000/76/EC on waste incineration;
- Directive 2001/80/EC on limiting certain pollutant emissions into the air from large combustion plants; and
- Directive 2008/1/EC on integrated pollution prevention and control
The transposition and implementation of these Directives during the last decade has facilitated substantial reductions in pollutant emissions in Northern Ireland, thereby reducing health and environmental risks.