Agriculture Minister, Edwin Poots MLA has confirmed that a number of changes have now been made to Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) entitlements in 2021. These changes will simplify the application process for farmers and will be reflected in the Entitlements Register, which was published on 31 January this year.
With effect from 2021 Greening Payments will be discontinued. The Minister has reassured farmers that removing Greening Payments will not affect the overall money they receive. Although farmers will not receive a specific greening payment, the money paid out previously will be incorporated into BPS entitlements values and will be included in their main BPS payment.
Minister Poots said: “In September 2020 I announced my decision to permanently remove greening requirements for the 2021 scheme year after considering that they are not effective in delivering environmental benefits, coupled with the additional administrative burden they placed on farmers.
"These changes have now been made and the application process has been simplified. The value of BPS entitlements will be increased by approximately 43.6% to ensure that overall payments to NI farmers remain the same. However, farmers will still have to meet the minimum standards on the environment, animal and plant health, and animal welfare. Rules on Environmentally Sensitive Permanent Grassland and land eligibility are being retained.”
Minister Poots also announced that entitlement values will now be calculated in sterling: “With the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union last year, it no longer makes sense to calculate entitlement values in euros. Entitlement values on the Register, will now be displayed in Pounds Sterling.”
While entitlements will now be calculated and displayed in Sterling using the exchange rate of €1 = £0.89092, previous years’ entitlement values will continue to be displayed in euros.
Farmers are reminded that the online Entitlement Transfer Service will be opened from 1 March until 4 May 2021.
Notes to editors:
- Direct Payments comprise BPS payments and Young Farmers’ payments.
- The euro / sterling conversion rate used to calculate the entitlement values for 2021 is €1 = £0.89092.
- The percentage increase to entitlements to account for removal of Greening Payments is 43.647186%.
- The Entitlement Register is now open and can be viewed via DAERA Online Services - https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/services/daera-online-services
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.