The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) today announced that a record 97% of farmers in Northern Ireland have received a full or balance CAP payment in December 2017.
The payments, totalling £95million, were issued to 23,395 farm businesses. Since the completion of advance payments in October 2017, the Department has maintained its drive to maximise payment performance. A total of £277million in CAP payments has been issued in 2017, an increase of £27million on 2016 payments.
This record number of payments, which builds on the achievements of last year (96%), has been made possible due to the significant increase in the number of farmers submitting their Single Application online, 99% in 2017. Claims made online are faster, more secure and more accurate. Payments can only be made on fully verified claims.
The number of businesses subject to a land inspection and which received a December payment has increased from 959 in 2016 to 1,471 in 2017.
The Department has made a particular effort to issue payments to businesses affected by the flooding of 22/23 August 2017, with 98% of the affected businesses receiving payment in December.
Notes to editors:
- The exchange rate for 2017 is €1 = £0.89470
- Direct Payments in the UK are paid in sterling except where the farmer elects for payment in Euro by the deadline for submission of Single Applications.
- Payments will be made in the chosen currency by electronic transfer into the farm business bank account.
- Follow us on Twitter
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- NIEA signs innovative environmental agreement with Lakeland Dairies 15 June 2018
- Herd and flock keepers in Northern Ireland urged to remain vigilant for signs of Bluetongue 15 June 2018
- Avian Influenza confirmed in a wild bird in Co Armagh 15 June 2018
- NIEA investigating major fish kill in Armagh 14 June 2018