The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is inviting research institutions in NI to apply for funding to participate in joint projects with the United States and the Republic of Ireland that will benefit the local agri-food sector.
The ‘Research and Development Partnership’ is a tri-jurisdictional approach to collaborative funding between DAERA, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) and the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) to identify opportunities to co-fund research in areas of shared strategic priority. NI research institutions can apply with collaborative partners for funding.
DAERA Departmental Science Advisor, Dr Alistair Carson said: “Addressing common issues with a collaborative approach has many benefits including the leverage of additional research capacity and expertise to meet the needs of the local agri-food sector.
“The Department recognises that Science has a vital role in providing our farmers and agri-food industry with a competitive edge in highly demanding markets. By addressing transnational issues affecting the sustainability of the agri-food sector in NI, ROI and US creates many overarching benefits.
“This funding to local scientists, technologists and advisers will play an essential part in assisting NI farmers who face the challenges of increasingly competitive agri-food and forestry sectors. Sharing both knowledge and resources through transnational collaboration enhances both the quality of research, and the value derived from DAERA funding.”
The submission deadline to DAERA and DAFM is four weeks in advance of the stated NIFA deadline for the respective thematic area in AFRI’s 2017 Foundation Competitive Grant Programme. See further information regarding this funding programme and associated closing dates.
An information webinar on the 2017 US-Ireland R&D Call in Agriculture is scheduled for 2.30pm to 3.30pm BST on Wednesday 26 April 2017. It will be hosted by DAFM and will include representatives from DAERA. NIFA, USA will also be available to provide information on the ‘Call’. Register for the webinar.
Notes to editors:
- This pilot innovative Research and Development programme has been extended for another year. The first year of the US-Ireland Research and Development Partnership Programme Call in Agriculture resulted in one successful NI Research Organisation.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email DAERA Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Golden Jubilee Celebrations commence at CAFRE Enniskillen Campus 19 October 2017
- NIEA hosts new forum for Prosperity Agreement holders 19 October 2017
- Advance CAP payments begin issuing 17 October 2017
- September stocking of Departmental waters 17 October 2017