The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is encouraging students to apply for its annual Postgraduate Studentships Competition.
The programme has reopened and is offering 12 new PhD Studentships, commencing in October 2023. The research programme currently enables PhD students to carry out specific research for the Department over a three-year period, while working towards a PhD qualification. Applications must be submitted before midnight on Tuesday 21 February 2023.
Norman Fulton, Head of Food and Farming Group, DAERA, met with first year PhD student Richard Hillis at the Winter Fair to discuss his research into the immune status in dairy cattle. He said: “Richard’s research has the potential to provide economic benefits to dairy producers through improving health and immunity in dairy cattle. DAERA is currently offering PhD projects across a range of topics in recognition of the vital role of science to inform policy development and stimulate innovation. The Postgraduate Studentship Programme is an important component of DAERA’s total investment in research.”
Richard, from Belfast, is carrying out his PhD at Queen’s University and the Agri-Food Biosciences Institute, Hillsborough.
Richard said: “My research has the potential to help farmers to make good breeding decisions and breed dairy cattle with lower maintenance costs, better health conditions and welfare.”
Details of the 2023 Research Needs, Application Form and Terms and Conditions for the awards are available on the nidirect website. The research can be undertaken at a university in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland.
Notes to editors:
- Funding is provided in the form of a student maintenance grant, with fees and other costs paid directly to the student’s University or Research Centre. Applicants must meet eligibility criteria, including academic qualifications.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Soil Nutrient Health Scheme – CAFRE launch training 22 March 2023
- Funding Innovation for Food Businesses with Invest NI and CAFRE 22 March 2023
- CAFRE Farm Innovations visit to North Yorkshire large dairy herds 22 March 2023
- Control noxious weeds now 20 March 2023