CAFRE student Emma Donnelly, who is currently studying for a National Diploma in Food Technology at Loughry Campus, has had a busy summer so far. Emma successfully secured a 12 week placement with ABP Food Group which is one of Europe’s leading food processors, providing quality beef to thousands of customers worldwide.
Within ABP, Emma has taken on a role within their Quality Department where she is carrying out many process control checks within the manufacturing and mincing room to ensure traceability and food safety. Discussing her placement, Emma says: “I am really enjoying my placement in ABP and it is great to have a support network of past Loughry graduates. I have been able to develop many skills including communication, teamwork and my technical knowledge.”
Industrial placement is an integral part of CAFRE’s National Diploma Food Programmes where students spend 12 weeks working in the food industry, gaining experience of the real world and developing many transferrable skills.
Emma has successfully completed her first year of the programme. She has really enjoyed the practical aspects of the course and visits out to industry. Her placement is a perfect match for her favourite first year unit - meat technology.
Emma will return in September to finish her course and she will have the opportunity to apply new knowledge and skills during her second year of study.
If you are interested in the National Diploma Food Courses at Loughry Campus, you are invited to our next Careers Advice Event on Thursday 22 August. You can also check out the CAFRE website or follow us at DiscoverCAFRE on Facebook and Instagram.
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- A timely reminder of changes to record keeping for High Phosphorous poultry manure 23 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Greenhouse Gas Projection Statistics Released 23 January 2020
- Minister Poots extends closing date to Business Development Groups Scheme 22 January 2020
- Increase farming knowledge and skills by joining a Business Development Group 22 January 2020