To help grow their interest in the varied and exciting range of career opportunities agriculture has to offer, CAFRE recently hosted over 200 pupils and teachers from 12 schools across Northern Ireland at a one day curriculum support event at Greenmount Campus.
With interactive indoor and outdoor activities, this event allowed pupils to view the fantastic facilities at Greenmount, including the Dairy Centre, Wetlands area and the Horticulture Centre, and to also find out about the diverse range of career opportunities open to them within agriculture. Subjects covered on the day included Dairy Cow Nutrition, New Technologies, Animal Health, Farm Diversification, Renewable Energy, Reed Beds and Wetlands. Feedback from pupils and staff following the event was extremely positive.
David Morris, Head of Biology at Portadown College, commented that it was “a unique opportunity to learn about a range of highly relevant subjects that the pupils are currently studying” and the pupils said “they loved it and thoroughly enjoyed the practical aspects of the event”.
To find out about the great range of agriculture courses visit the CAFRE website or the CAFRE Facebook page or come along to the next Open Day at Greenmount Campus on Wednesday 5 April 2017 from 3.00 - 8.00 pm.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter: @daera_ni
- All media enquiries to DAERA Press Office, email@example.com or tel: 028 9052 4619.
- Practical steps to improve suckler cow fertility 02 February 2023
- Key points for a healthy calving season within the suckler herd 02 February 2023
- Tarragon Bay fishing for success 02 February 2023
- Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics released 02 February 2023