Fisheries Minister Edwin Poots has confirmed that the Public Angling Estate (PAE) will gradually re-open to local anglers, from Monday.
All PAE’s across Northern Ireland will re-open to the public for recreational use, but anglers should only use the DAERA facilities within their local area, and should not travel long distances. Minister Poots also confirmed that car parking facilities will remain closed until 27 May 2020.
Speaking about the announcement, the Minister said: “In the interests of public health, I shut down the angling estate on 30 March, to discourage unnecessary journeys and protect my staff as well as anglers themselves, given that the majority are in the 50+ age bracket and many have concessionary angling licences due to underlying health issues.
“While car parks will remain closed until 27 May to discourage long journeys, I have decided to permit local anglers back on to the Public Angling Estate so that they can participate in their favourite recreational activity.
“By its nature, angling is a solo sport or hobby, and its participants can enjoy a day’s fishing without being in close contact with others. The sport has huge benefits for people’s mental and physical well-being and in this time of uncertainty, I know that many people have missed the solitude and peace that angling and being outdoors with nature, brings them.
“However, let me be clear – anglers must continue to follow social distancing guidelines, practice good hand hygiene and walk to their nearest PAE, fishing alone or with a member of their own household. I do not want to see crowds of people near the river banks and fisheries.
Notes to editors:
- Fishing is one of the top 10 sports in Northern Ireland, enjoyed by more than 20,000 people all year round.
- DAERA stock the Public Angling Estate fisheries with 122,000 fish, consisting of 42,250 rainbow trout and 79,750 brown trout.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office via email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter @daera_ni and Facebook
- Northern Ireland Water Framework Directive Groundwater Status Update 2020 Statistics Released 14 January 2021
- EU Exit and the Impact on NI Food Products 14 January 2021
- CAFRE degree course application period extended 13 January 2021
- EU Exit 13 January 2021