Northern Ireland Water Framework Directive Groundwater status update statistics for 2020 have been published today by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, Thursday 14th January 2021.
This statistical report contains summary information on the status of groundwater for the three River Basin Districts in Northern Ireland based on data collected up to the end of December 2019.
The key points are:
- In 2020, 63 of the 75 groundwater bodies in Northern Ireland were classified as having overall 'Good' status and 12 of the 75 groundwater bodies in Northern Ireland were classified as having overall ‘Poor” status. This was determined by using data from 2015 to 2019
- This compares to 2015, where 49 of the 75 groundwater bodies in Northern Ireland were classified as having overall 'Good' status and 26 of the 75 groundwater bodies in Northern Ireland were classified as having overall ‘Poor” status. This was determined by using data from 2009 to 2015
- This report is being published as a precursor to the publication of third cycle River Basin Management Plans for all water bodies. The draft plans are currently in preparation and final plans will be published in 2021 in accordance with the requirements of the Water Framework Directive (WFD).
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- DAERA seeks views on the development of fisheries management measures for Marine Protected Areas and establishment of scallop enhancement sites in the Northern Ireland inshore region 25 January 2021
- Causeway Artisan Foods takes giant steps for innovation 25 January 2021
- EU Exit 22 January 2021
- Poots announces £2.2m Covid-19 financial support for pig sector 21 January 2021