A new support scheme worth £2million for local pig farmers has been announced by Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA.
The scheme is targeted at pig farmers who have been financially impacted by the effects of weakening markets, increased feed costs and getting pigs moved off the farm for slaughter.
Announcing the support scheme for pig farmers, Minister Poots said: “I am very aware of the challenges pig producers have faced in recent months and I am convinced that the sector needs emergency financial support at this time. I therefore intend to direct my Permanent Secretary to deliver a support scheme that will target those farmers who have been impacted most.”
The scheme will make payments to those pig producers who incurred price penalties on pigs that were outside contract specifications from September 2021 to February 2022. Eligible pig producers will be invited to apply through DAERA Online Services when the Scheme opens in April. Further information and details will be published on the DAERA website at that time.
The Minister went on to say: “Many of the issues are due to factors outside the farmers control such as international supply and demand, labour availability in the processing sector, and repercussions of the Covid-19 pandemic. This package will assist producers in the short term but industry must work together and adjust to market signals for the longer term.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Optimising nutrient use efficiency webinars 27 January 2023
- In field ammonia emission mitigations – Using Protected Urea Fertiliser and Low Emission Slurry Spreading Equipment to reduce ammonia emissions 26 January 2023
- Pay increase for Agricultural Workers 26 January 2023
- DAERA appoints five new members to CAFRE College Advisory Group 24 January 2023