Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots has highlighted the importance of cross community involvement work during a visit to a unique urban fishing project at the Waterworks in North Belfast.
Minister Poots was given a tour of the park by The Families at the Waterworks Angling Club, which operates part of the Belfast City Council site as a catch and release trout fishery; as well as being shown a demonstration of their skills at fly casting and fishing.
This unique fishery affords both local and visiting anglers an opportunity to enjoy urban trout fishing right in the heart of North Belfast and work is ongoing to promote and encourage angling participation by young people in the area from across the community divide.
Minister Poots said: “It is important that facilities such as the Waterworks are supported and maintained within an urban environment to give young people in particular, an opportunity to experience the benefits of an open air recreational activity right on their doorstep.
“My Department will continue to support the important cross community work being undertaken by angling clubs such as Families at the Waterworks which are actively promoting recreational angling to new participants within local communities.
“My Department encourages angling clubs and community organisation to apply for funding through ‘DAERA’s Community Angling Outreach Event Fund’ which provides financial assistance to help assist in the staging of angling events to encourage participation by everyone in the community and the development of angling as a sport.”
Notes to editors:
- The Families of the Waterworks Angling Club was founded in 2001 and is a cross community club, committed to participating in the ongoing regeneration of the Waterworks and surrounding neighbourhoods. The Club regularly stocks the water with rainbow trout, the fishery also contains roach, bream, and pike.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Larchfield Estate undergoes £117,000 refurbishment through the Rural Development Programme 29 October 2020
- Minister reminds people of benefits of recycling during visit to reprocessing facility 28 October 2020
- September stocking of Departmental waters 27 October 2020
- Pig management at your fingertips! 27 October 2020