Toome ASSI contains internationally important deposits of diatomite with changes in diatom species composition recording Holocene variations in water depth of the Lough Neagh basin.
Associated organic material and geomorphological features also reflect hydrological variability within the Lough Neagh basin and climatic change within Northern Ireland.
- ASSI Guidance for Public Bodies/Competent Authorities
- Coastal Areas of Special Scientific Interest
- Conservation Management Plans for Northern Ireland’s Special Areas of Conservation
- European Marine Sites - Marine Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas
- Management of Special Areas of Conservation (SAC)
- Marine Conservation Zones
- Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Ramsar sites
- Portrush Coastal Zone
- Special Areas of Conservation
- Special Areas of Conservation for Harbour porpoise
- Special Protection Areas