We have a range of protected area designations, representing feature of national and international importance, both terrestrial and marine.
Our protected areas represent the very best of our natural landscapes, biodiversity and geodiversity, forming the cornerstone of nature conservation by supporting plants, animals and habitats that are rare or unique. The on-going protection and management of this coherent network of sites will ensure that these important natural and cultural assets can be enjoyed by this and future generations.
- Special Areas of Conservation
- Special Protection Areas
- Areas of Special Scientific Interest
- Ramsar sites
- Nature Reserves
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- World Heritage Site
- ASSI Guidance for Public Bodies/Competent Authorities
- Coastal Areas of Special Scientific Interest
- Marine Conservation Zones
- Marine Natura 2000 network (Marine N2K) - Marine SACs and SPAs
- Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Ramsar Sites
- Special Areas of Conservation for Harbour porpoise