- assesses drinking water quality against regulatory standards
- carries out detailed inspections of water sampling and assesses water treatment, distribution policies and practice
- publishes an annual report on drinking water quality in Northern Ireland.
- develops policy and regulation on drinking water issues in association with other Drinking Water Regulators, working to an agreed Framework contained within a UK Memorandum of Understanding
- deals with events which affect or could affect drinking water quality
- liaises with the Utility Regulator to promote co-operation
- Liaises with DfI under a Memorandum of Understanding
- works alongside other key stakeholders under a partnership agreement
- has an agreement with UKAS (the United Kingdom Accreditation Service) ensuring that organisations undertaking sampling or testing of drinking water are UKAS accredited
Information letters are used to notify the water industry and relevant stakeholders of any changes in regulatory matters, guidance or procedures.