Forest Research (FR) is the research agency of the Forestry Commission (FC) and Great Britain’s principal organisation for forestry and tree-related research. FR is internationally renowned for the provision of science, research, evidence, data and services in support of sustainable forestry.
FR produce a wide range of information in support of sustainable forest management in Britain. Publications are organised by category in the filtered search. The catalogue includes the FC publication library and archive as well as Forest Research articles and guidance.
All FR publications and research | forestresearch.gov.uk
Designing and managing forests and woodlands to reduce flood risk.
This Practice Guide provides advice to landowners, forest and woodland managers, planners, practitioners and flooding authorities, on how forests, forest management and woodland creation can affect flood flows and flood water storage. Applying this guidance will help ensure that forests and woodlands make a positive contribution to natural flood management as part of a more sustainable and integrated approach to protecting communities from the damaging effects of future flooding.
- Adapting forest and woodland management to the changing climate
- Scenario analysis: exploring future woodland use and ecosystem services delivery
- Quantifying the Sustainable Forestry Carbon Cycle
- Forestry Facts & Figures 2022
- Carbon storage and substitution benefits of harvested wood products
- Ecological implications of oak decline in Great Britain
- Carbon balance of Northern Ireland Forest Service forest on deep peat
- Opportunity mapping for woodland creation to reduce flood risk
Climate Change Factsheet Series
Forest Research Launches Climate Change Factsheet Series - Forest Research
The first four factsheets were published on 28 January 2021:
- How woodlands and forests affect the climate
- How forestry can help reduce flooding
- The role of forest-to-bog restoration in reducing carbon emissions
- How biodiversity can help woodlands in a changing climate
Climate Change Factsheets Set Two Published - Forest Research
A second set of four factsheets were published on 7 June 2021 and cover:
- Tree diseases
- Diseases of tree foliage
- Ecosystem Services
- Human behaviours