Grid Reference: H 110365
Overlooking Lower Lough Macnean is a magnificent 50 m high limestone cliff - the Hanging Rock. Yew and juniper cling to its face. At the bottom of the cliff is one of the finest ash woodlands in Northern Ireland. It is believed that the great variety of lichens found here indicate woodland cover since ancient times. An area was clear felled in the early 1940s and has now grown back naturally.
To the west, in Rossaa Wood, oak, beech, great willow and elm have grown to full maturity and shelter a rich variety of plants. There are slopes covered in grasses amongst which grows the colourful Welsh poppy. toothwort, a parasitic plant, lives on the roots of hazel and elm. It looks unusual as it is totally white and stands out against the mosses on the damp woodland floor. Red squirrels can occasionally be seen in the woodland while the elusive pine marten has been sighted in recent years.
Local legend says that a rock dislodged from the cliff and fell onto a local salt trader taking shelter from a storm. This rock became known as the Salter's Stone or Cloghoge and sits prominently at the road side to the east of the reserve.
Limited car parking available. Short path to a river resurgence
Site Manager Tel 028 6862 1588.
From Florencecourt take the road towards Blacklion for approximately 4 miles. Hanging Rock is on the left. There is car parking on the roadside next to the phone box.