The Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) has published a Consultation on the Strategic Way Forward for the future management of Wildfires in Northern Ireland.
The 12-week consultation closes on 20 June 2023 and the views of all stakeholders and interested parties are welcomed.
Mark Hammond, NIEA’s Director of Natural Environment Division said: "Wildfires are a threat to people, property, wildlife and the countryside and efforts to fight them are a drain on the public resources. Wildfires in Northern Ireland impact on large areas of landscape, particularly in heather or gorse dominated upland areas. These fires destroy biodiversity and affect air quality and water resources. It is key that we are as best placed as possible to face the wildfires challenge and this strategy aims to achieve that."
The Strategic Way Forward outlines five strategic goals based around six key themes for how the Northern Ireland wildfire problem should be addressed. These key themes include Governance; Engagement; Land Management; Response; Policy, Legislation and Enforcement; and Evidence.
The NIEA are keen to have as many responses as possible to the questions posed throughout the Plan and would encourage everyone to contribute. We look forward to hearing your views as these will help shape the final document setting out the way forward regarding wildfires in Northern Ireland and will help inform the development of associated actions.
Full details of the consultation on the Wildfires in Northern Ireland, Draft Strategic Way Forward are available on the DAERA website.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Water users urged to enhance biosecurity 28 September 2023
- Applications are invited for a Study Tour to the Netherlands – Innovations in hatching and commercial egg production 28 September 2023
- Making the dairy business more resilient 28 September 2023
- New deadline to provide evidence on impact of air pollution on environment 27 September 2023