Forest Service, an Executive Agency of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), has launched a public engagement regarding forests in West Fermanagh.
Planning forester Breandan Mulholland said: “As our forests develop as places of industry, environment and leisure, we are encouraging everyone to continue to make their feelings known. This engagement enables everyone to become involved at an early stage of the forestry planning process.”
“West Fermanagh boasts some of the most iconic landscapes in Northern Ireland from the Magho Cliffs view point at Lough Navar Forest to Castle Archdale Forest on the shores of Lower Lough Erne. How we manage these forests will leave a lasting legacy for future generations.”
“Over recent years Forest Service have worked in partnership with Fermanagh and Omagh District Council to provide recreation facilities that includes the development of walking trails, car parks and other facilities.”
Forestry remains a significant source of rural employment. The forestry sector generates around £60 million per annum from timber production and sustains approximately 1,000 rural jobs across Northern Ireland.
Breandan Mulholland said: “Forestry planning helps us deliver many services from our forests and woodlands, such as timber production and capture of carbon dioxide to mitigate climate change. Regular reviews of forest plans ensure that they are up to date and allows us to monitor our forests to enable them to continue to meet the diverse and sometimes competing needs of people, wildlife, and wood processing industries.”
The consultation paper identifies opportunities where forest plans could be improved, and suggests how this might be taken forward. You are invited to express your views and opinions.
Mr Mulholland added: “Forests are a vital natural resource which belong to us all, and it is particularly important that those with an interest have their say.”
The consultation runs from 1 July to 31 August 2022.
Notes to editors:
- Download the scoping documents.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter at and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours’ service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Planning for Grain Storage 11 August 2022
- CAFRE EFS farm walk to take place at Enniskillen Campus 09 August 2022
- Management notes for August 2022 04 August 2022
- Brucellosis compensation rates for August 2022 03 August 2022