Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots MLA has announced the opening of a £4million Covid-19 Support Scheme for eligible pig and poultry producers from Monday 15 March.
Speaking about the scheme opening, Minister Poots said: “I am very pleased to report that £4m of support is being made available to pig and poultry producers who saw their income fall last year due to the impact of Covid-19.”
Minister Poots continued: “Last year I met with representatives of pig farmers who incurred financial loss when the processing plant they supplied was temporarily closed due to an outbreak of Covid-19 within the workforce. This financial support will address the effects of the temporary loss of the lucrative Chinese export market, additional penalties on overweight and overfat pigs, and the price impact of alternative pig marketing arrangements.”
The Minister went on to say: "I also met with representatives of poultry farmers producing parent stock and hatching eggs for Moy Park Ltd, and recognised the financial impact that falling demand for hatching eggs, particularly in international markets and interdependencies within the supply chain, had on the local industry. This support will address the financial impact of depleting laying flocks earlier than normal, and the cash flow consequences of longer intercrop periods for both rearing and laying farms.”
Eligible farm businesses in the pig and poultry sectors will receive a letter inviting them to apply for the support package, with instructions on how to access the application form and receive help to complete it. They must complete the application form available on DAERA Online Services from Monday 15 March to Wednesday 24 March 2021. Explanatory information and guidance will also be published on the DAERA website from Monday.
The Minister added: “I am very pleased that over £19m has already been paid out by DAERA to local farm businesses impacted by the pandemic and this financial support has been very helpful in these difficult times.”
Further information on the scheme can be found on the DAERA website www.daera-ni.gov.uk from Monday 15 March.
Notes to editors:
- Eligible pig and poultry farm businesses can access their application form from Monday 15 March through DAERA Online Services at:https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/services/daera-online-services
- A letter will issue to every eligible farm business in the pig and poultry sector in week commencing 15 March 2021. Only businesses which are considered eligible will have the option to complete this application when they log-on.
- Eligible pig producers must have supplied pigs to Cranswick Country Foods Ltd between 4 September and 7 November 2020.
- Eligible poultry producers must have produced broiler breeder pullets or broiler hatching eggs and impacted negatively by the market disruption caused by Covid-19 in the period 23 March 2020 to 31 January 2021
- The Covid-19 Support Scheme is a contribution towards the losses incurred by businesses as a result of short term market disturbance. Since other HMG support measures are available to agricultural and horticultural businesses, the rate of compensation for losses incurred has been set 80%. The 80% rate is compatible with that set for the Self Employed Income Support Scheme and the amount of wages paid to furloughed workers through the Coronavirus Job retention Scheme.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.