A £2.7million support scheme for farmers impacted by the 2017 flooding in the North West has been officially opened by Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs Minister Edwin Poots.
Farmers who applied for a Force Majeure when their businesses were impacted by severe flooding and landslides on 22 and 23 August 2017 can now apply for the one-off financial payment.
“The extreme flooding event meant that the farming and wider rural communities in the North West experienced significant hardship. Farm businesses lost income due to the impact on their land and the cost of removing debris and silt, as well as reseeding to restore it back to productive use,” said Minister Poots.
“So I am delighted to say that this North West 2017 Flooding Income Support Scheme, worth almost £2.7 million, is now open to applications. This is a time limited scheme which will close on 12 August 2021.
“The one-off grant payment, which will be capped at £106,323 per farm business, is available for farmers who applied for a Force Majeure in respect of the flooding incident.
“I would urge all eligible businesses to make sure their application is submitted as soon as possible,” Minister Poots added.
Eligible farm businesses will receive a letter inviting them to apply for the support package, with instructions on how to access the application form and receive help to complete it.
They must complete the application form available on DAERA Online Services from 28 July 2021. Explanatory information and guidance will also be published on the DAERA website.
Further information on the scheme can be found on the DAERA website www.daera-ni.gov.uk
Notes to editors:
- Eligible farm businesses can access their application form from 28 July 2021 through DAERA Online Services at:https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/services/daera-online-services
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Poots reminds farmers to report all cattle abortions and stillbirths for brucellosis testing 23 September 2021
- Lord Deben and CCC Chief Executive Chris Stark 23 September 2021
- Minister addresses Protocol with Eustice and Frost 23 September 2021
- Extra £15.5m funding for agri-food sector - Poots tells Balmoral Show 22 September 2021