Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs Minister Edwin Poots has published his Department’s Innovation Strategy 2021-2025.
The aim of this new Strategy, which is part of DAERA’s Science Strategy Framework, is to develop an innovation ecosystem which delivers for the environment, societal wellbeing and the rural economy; in line with DAERA’s Green Growth Agenda. Implementation of the Strategy will establish an enabling environment within DAERA for innovation to flourish across the Department’s remit of agri-food, environment, marine and fisheries, forestry and rural affairs.
Minister Poots said: “Innovation drives productivity, attracts international investment, aids resilience and lays the foundations for our future. The development of this Strategy is therefore critical as we seek to address issues such as climate change and the sustainability of food production. It is vital that we explore and exploit innovation to help us drive our response to these and other local and global challenges.”
Minister Poots continued: “The COVID-19 pandemic has shown us how vital innovation is when it comes to reacting and adapting quickly to transformation and challenge. This important Strategy has prioritised the exploitation of opportunities relating to digitisation within our sectors and the transformation of the bio economy and will help us deal with the many new technologies emerging globally that have the potential to benefit DAERA and the areas for which it has responsibility.”
The DAERA Innovation Strategy is now available on the DAERA website.
Notes to editors:
- The Innovation Strategy is part of DAERA’s Science Strategy Framework, which guides how the Department optimises its use of science to help deliver Departmental and Programme for Government objectives.
- A public consultation on proposals for the DAERA Innovation Strategy was undertaken in spring 2020. Further information on the consultation can be found at DAERA Innovation Strategy 2020-2025.
- DAERA has responsibility for certain aspects of food, farming, environmental, fisheries, forestry and sustainability policy and regulation and the development of the rural sector in Northern Ireland.
- DAERA uses science and innovation as a key enabler for informing policy development, meeting statutory obligations, measuring outcomes, providing advice and information, promoting innovation, managing risks to society and the environment and supporting rural areas.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.