The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has announced that a second tranche of the Environmental Farming Scheme (EFS) Wider will open for applications on Monday 20 August 2018.
The EFS is a voluntary scheme. Farmers and landowners with a DAERA category 1 or 2 Business ID and 3 hectares of land that is eligible for Basic Payment are able to apply. The Wider EFS aims to deliver benefits across the countryside outside of environmentally designated areas.
More than 1,000 farmers are currently completing a range of environmental projects under the 2017 Wider scheme that enables them to farm in an environmentally friendly manner.
A DAERA Spokesperson advised potential applicants to carry out some research before applying to the scheme.
He said: “EFS is different to previous agri-environment schemes. The usual options are available, including establishment of agroforestry, arable options, protection of watercourses, hedge planting and hedge laying, but we would advise farmers to read information regarding the scheme before applying.
“Information can be obtained from the DAERA website. Our advice is to only choose the options and amount that you can carry out, remembering that most options must be completed by 1 June 2019. Once you have made your choices, the application is a simple online process but you do need to be registered with DAERA online Services.”
Applications to the Wider EFS close on 21 September.
Notes to editors:
- There are over 1,000 EFS Wider participants currently completing a range of environmental works funded partly under the NI Rural Development Programme
- The Environmental Farming Scheme is a voluntary scheme that compensates farmers for undertaking work to enhance biodiversity and water quality and reduce the impact of the global warming.
- Follow DAERA on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or via email. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- CAFRE graduate ‘blossoms’ into potential world beater 16 January 2020
- Management notes for January 2020 16 January 2020
- Chief Veterinary Officer stresses importance of excellent biosecurity 15 January 2020
- Don’t miss out - Business Development Groups Scheme Closing to Applications 14 January 2020