Ballycam ASSI contains a number of fen communities, including the only known example in Northern Ireland of one that is generally only found locally in lowland England and Wales.
It is characterised by the dominance of black bog-rush and blunt-flowered rush. Other vegetation-types include swamp dominated by common reed and fen dominated by bottle sedge and marsh cinquefoil. These communities grade into mesotrophic grassland, often containing fen species, around the edge of the site.
- ASSI Guidance for Public Bodies/Competent Authorities
- Coastal Areas of Special Scientific Interest
- Conservation Management Plans for Northern Ireland’s Special Areas of Conservation
- European Marine Sites - Marine Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas
- Management of Special Areas of Conservation (SAC)
- Marine Conservation Zones
- Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Ramsar sites
- Portrush Coastal Zone
- Special Areas of Conservation
- Special Areas of Conservation for Harbour porpoise
- Special Protection Areas