The Ramsar Site lies between Killowen Point and Soldiers Point on the northern shores of Carlingford Lough and the landward boundary is entirely coincident with that of the Carlingford Lough Area of Special Scientific Interest. The Ramsar Site boundary is also entirely coincident with that of the Carlingford Lough Special Protection Area.
The Ramsar Site includes all lands and intertidal areas seawards to the limits of territorial waters. Marine areas below mean low water are not included.
The site qualifies under Criterion 3c for supporting internationally important breeding populations of sandwich tern. The site also qualifies under Criterion 2a by supporting an important assemblage of vulnerable and endangered Irish Red Data Book bird species. It also is known to support a nationally important breeding populations of common, roseate and Arctic terns.
The site forms part of an extended cross-border site which qualifies under Criterion 3c for regularly supporting internationally important numbers of overwintering light-bellied Brent geese.
The extended site also supports nationally important numbers of the following wader species: oystercatcher, ringed plover, grey plover, dunlin and redshank.
- Appointment of Deputy Chair and up to 16 Board Members to the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside (CNCC)
- ASSI Guidance for Public Bodies/Competent Authorities
- Coastal Areas of Special Scientific Interest
- Conservation and protection enforcement programme
- Conservation Management Plans for Northern Ireland’s Special Areas of Conservation
- Ecological Surveys
- European Marine Sites - Marine Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas
- Financial administrative penalties
- Fishing licence points system for serious infringements of the enforcement programme
- Management of Special Areas of Conservation (SAC)
- Mandatory recording of marine mammal bycatch
- Marine Conservation Zones
- Marine historic environment
- Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Ramsar sites
- Monitoring marine habitats and species
- NI CHART Bluefin Tuna
- Outline Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP)
- Portrush Coastal Zone
- Special Areas of Conservation
- Special Areas of Conservation for Harbour porpoise
- Special Protection Areas