Data Control NameDepartment of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
111 Ballykelly Road,
DAERA Data Protection Officer (DPO)Telephone: 028 7744 2350
A hard copy of this Privacy Statement is available to download from the following page:
Why are you processing my personal information?
The Department takes data protection, freedom of information and environmental information issues seriously. It takes care to ensure that any
personal information received from you is dealt with in a way which complies with the requirements of the UK General Data Protection
Regulation (UK GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018. This means that any personal information you supply will be processed principally for the purpose for which it has been provided.
However, the Department is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have
provided for this purpose. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for the audit or administration of public funds, in order
to prevent and detect crime.
In addition, the Department may also use it for other legitimate purposes in line with the UK General Data Protection Regulation, Freedom of
Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
- administration of the Common Agricultural Policy and other aid schemes
- administration of the Common Fisheries Policy
- the production and safety of food
- management of land and other environmental controls
- animal health and welfare
- statutory schemes and obligations in the areas of plant health and crop certification
- occupational health and welfare
- regulatory and natural resources policy
- environmental policy
- legislation relating to the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency
- the prevention and detection of fraud or maladministration (e.g. The Comptroller & Auditor General and HM Revenue & Customs)
- compilation of statistics
- disclosure to other organisations when required by law to do so
- disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 where such disclosure is in the public interest
- administration of UK wide schemes on behalf of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs in Great Britain
- business development and knowledge advisory service for farmers, growers and food processors
- for corresponding with you in connection with the above activities
Where do you get my personal data from?
The Department will collect your information primarily from applications for services and subsequent information that you provide to us, as the data subject, in relation to the provision of these services. The Department may also collect additional information from other agencies that is necessary to provide the services requested.
The Department will also maintain and update your data with any information you subsequently share with us in order to ensure your data is factual, accurate and up-to-date.
Do you share my personal data with anyone else?
Data sharing takes place for legitimate reasons, to support the business purposes for which it was supplied. If we need to share your personal
data, it will be done so under contract which will require the processor to protect the data and act only in regard to DAERA business purposes.
We may share your data with:
- enforcement agencies for the prevention or detection of crime
- tax and customs authorities, when requested by them to do so
- selected third party processors who we use for processing applications or for making payments to you
- NI Direct
- third party ICT systems to support contractors who maintain our ICT systems which hold your personal data
Do you transfer my personal data to other countries?
Sometimes it may be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed, information may be transferred to countries or
territories around the world. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the General Data Protection Regulations (2016).
How long do you keep my personal data?
We will retain your data only for as long as necessary to comply with legislation, and/or where there is a business need to do so (i.e. for the
administration of your application and/or payment). Your data will be kept in line with our Retention and Disposal Schedule.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We will make changes to this statement from time to time, particularly when we change how we use your information or the services we provide.
You can always find an up-to-date version of this notice on our website at the link below:
You can also contact the DAERA Data Protection Officer should you require further information (contact details given below, should you require
further information). This privacy statement was last updated on 1 May 2018.
What rights do I have?
|The right to be informed
|The right of access
|The right to rectification
|The right to erasure
|The right to restrict processing
|The right to data portability
|The right to object
|Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
Should you require any further information on your rights in relation to the data we collect or process, please contact the DAERA Data
Protection Officer in the first instance.
How do I complain if I am not happy?
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this privacy statement, or how your personal information is being processed, please contact DAERA Data Protection Officer at:Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
111 Ballykelly Road
BT49 9HP Telephone: 028 7744 2350
If you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113