Under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 and the Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003, all activities involving the treatment, keeping or disposal of waste must be authorised by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). Some activities involving waste materials are exempt from licensing if they meet the requirements detailed in Regulation 17 of the Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003.
Should you have any issues with your application during this time or wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact the appropriate contact number for your respective council area.
Waste management licensing exemptions – Renewals
To apply for a renewal please click on the image below:
Waste management licensing exemptions - new registrations
Use this application form for Paragraph numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 34, 36, 40, 44, 46, 47.
Land treatment for agricultural benefit or ecological improvement.
The spreading, or storage and spreading of sludge on land which is not land used for agriculture.
The storage of sludge.
The reclamation, restoration or improvement of land.
The composting and storage of biodegradeable waste.
Manufacture of products from waste, the treatment of waste soil or rock which is to be spread on land under Paragraph 9 or 11 and the storage of waste which is to be submitted to the preceding activities.
The manufacture of finished goods from waste metal, plastic, glass, ceramics, rubber, textiles, wood, paper or caredboard and the storage of those wastes.
The use and/or storage of waste for the purpose of construction, maintenance or improvement of relevant work.
The recovery of scrap metal or the dismantling of depolluted end of life vehicles.
The repair, refurbishment, and storage of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
The secure storage of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
The following list of paragraphs no require an exemption.
Please click on the links below for more information on each of the paragraphs:
- 27 The baling, compacting, crushing, shredding or pulverising of waste at the place of production
- 32 The burial on premises of sanitary waste arising from the use on those premises of a sanitary convenience which is equipped with a removable receptacle
- 33 The keeping or deposit of waste arising from peatworking
- 35 The deposit of borehole or excavated waste
- 37 The burial of a dead domestic pet in the garden of a domestic property where the pet lived
- 38 The storage or deposit of waste samples to be tested or analysed
- 39 The storage of waste medicines at a pharmacy or storage of waste at the premises of a medical, nursing or veterinary practice
- 41 The temporary storage of waste, including WEEE, pending its collection, at the place where it is produced
- 42 The waste management transitional arrangements for the treatment, keeping or disposal at any premises, of scrap metal or waste motor vehicles, which are to be dismantled pending the issue of a licence
- 43 The waste management transitional arrangements to cover (up to 19 December 2004) the treatment, keeping or disposal of waste
- 45 The recovery of scrap metal or the dismantling of depolluted end-of-life vehicles