Under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 and the Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003, all activities involving the treatment, keeping or disposal of waste must be authorised by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). Some activities involving waste materials are exempt from licensing if they meet the requirements detailed in Regulation 17 of the Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003.
NIEA has launched a fully integrated online application process for Waste Management Exemptions and will be phasing out paper based applications (i.e. those submitted by post/e-mail). From 1 January 2022 applicants will only be able to apply for Waste Management Exemptions through the new DAERA online application system. Paper based applications received after this date will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
Should you have any issues during this time or wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact the appropriate contact number for you respective council area:
Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council (28); and
Mid and East Antrim Borough Council (36)
028 9056 9800 / 028 9056 9869
Ards and North Down Borough Council (30);
and Belfast City Council (31); and
Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council (35)
028 9056 9491 / 028 9056 9758
Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council (30); and
Mid Ulster District Council - Magherafelt / Cookstown (37)
028 7744 2374 / 028 9262 3216
Mid Ulster District Council - Dungannon (37); and
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council (38)
028 9262 3216 / 028 7744 2374
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council (32); and
Derry City and Strabane District Council - Derry(33)
028 7744 2129 / 028 7744 5119
Derry City and Strabane District Council - Strabane (33); and
Fermanagh and Omagh District Council (34)
028 7744 2126
Please note that for Paragraphs 11; 12; 15; 19; and 45 you will need to demonstrate that the site has, and is, operated in accordance with planning permission where such planning permission is required. In practice this means you must submit a copy of your planning permission or if planning permission is not required, written confirmation from the council that this is not required.
Waste management licensing exemptions – Renewals
To apply for a renewal please click on the image below:
Waste management licensing exemptions - new registrations
Use this application form for Paragraph numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 34, 36, 40, 44, 46, 47.
Land treatment for agricultural benefit or ecological improvement.
The spreading, or storage and spreading of sludge on land which is not land used for agriculture.
The storage of sludge.
The reclamation, restoration or improvement of land.
The composting and storage of biodegradeable waste.
Manufacture of products from waste, the treatment of waste soil or rock which is to be spread on land under Paragraph 9 or 11 and the storage of waste which is to be submitted to the preceding activities.
The manufacture of finished goods from waste metal, plastic, glass, ceramics, rubber, textiles, wood, paper or caredboard and the storage of those wastes.
The use and/or storage of waste for the purpose of construction, maintenance or improvement of relevant work.
The recovery of scrap metal or the dismantling of depolluted end of life vehicles.
The repair, refurbishment, and storage of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
The secure storage of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
The following list of paragraphs do not require an exemption.
Please click on the links below for more information on each of the paragraphs:
- 27 The baling, compacting, crushing, shredding or pulverising of waste at the place of production
- 32 The burial on premises of sanitary waste arising from the use on those premises of a sanitary convenience which is equipped with a removable receptacle
- 33 The keeping or deposit of waste arising from peatworking
- 35 The deposit of borehole or excavated waste
- 37 The burial of a dead domestic pet in the garden of a domestic property where the pet lived
- 38 The storage or deposit of waste samples to be tested or analysed
- 39 The storage of waste medicines at a pharmacy or storage of waste at the premises of a medical, nursing or veterinary practice
- 41 The temporary storage of waste, including WEEE, pending its collection, at the place where it is produced
- 42 The waste management transitional arrangements for the treatment, keeping or disposal at any premises, of scrap metal or waste motor vehicles, which are to be dismantled pending the issue of a licence
- 43 The waste management transitional arrangements to cover (up to 19 December 2004) the treatment, keeping or disposal of waste