DARD inspects and enforces Food Hygiene requirements on farms on behalf of the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
General Food Hygiene requirements apply to all types of food production, however, FSA has produced specific guidance for enforcers and farmers on how these requirements should be met on egg production sites.
The guidance covers requirements under four main areas as listed below:
Birds and housing
- system and Bird Cleanliness
- feed and Water
- pests and Other Livestock
- inspection, Disposal and Veterinary Inputs
Egg collection and storage
- cleanliness and Maintenance
- systems and Transport
- egg Storage and Packaging Materials
Hygiene control and personnel
Guidance for enforcement bodies
The guidance covers typical inspection points on egg production sites and the standards expected for producers which must comply with regulations (EC) 852/2004, (EC) 853/2004 and the food hygiene regulations 2006.
Food hygiene regulations
The following page contains details and downloadable links for the Food Hygiene Regulations for both the EU and Northern Ireland.
- Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin
- Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs